The Importance of Vaccines for Seniors
It has been recognized that people 65 years and older are at a higher risk of developing serious complications from the flu compared with young, healthy adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
As we age, our immune systems begin to weaken, and our bodies have a more difficult time fighting against disease. You’re more likely to get diseases like the flu, shingles and pneumonia, which can result in complications leading to illness, hospitalization or even death.
These facts highlight the importance of taking precautions when it comes to the flu and other diseases – and the best way to protect yourself is through immunizations. Immunizations offer a defense against serious illness and potential complications from a vaccine-preventable disease.
Vaccines Recommended for Seniors
The CDC offers a list of the most commonly encouraged vaccines to receive by age group. For adults 50 years or older, it is encouraged to receive the following vaccines:
- Influenza Vaccine: This annual vaccine helps protect from the seasonal flu.
- Shingles Vaccine: This vaccine helps protect against shingles and the complications from the disease.
- Tdap: This vaccine helps protect against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis, all bacterial diseases.
- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23): This vaccine helps protect against serious pneumococcal disease, including meningitis and bloodstream infections.
- Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13): This vaccine helps protect against serious pneumococcal disease and pneumonia. This vaccine is especially recommended for all adults with a condition that weakens the immune system.
Start the discussion with your healthcare provider by asking what vaccines they would recommend you receive. They have a wealth of knowledge, including your own personal medical history, which will help inform what vaccines are right for you.
Discover a Healthy Senior Living Lifestyle at The Moorings at Lewes
At The Moorings at Lewes, encouraging a healthy lifestyle is at the core of all of our offerings. One way we do this is through LivWell, our holistic wellness program. Activities and amenities through this program go far beyond traditional senior living offerings and help to improve mental, physical and spiritual wellness.
Through LivWell, we’re able to help you personalize the program for your needs. We help guide you to recommended offerings that would be the most beneficial to you and your specific goals. For example, if you’re looking to stay physically healthy and lower your risk for certain diseases, we may encourage you to visit the onsite health and wellness center to inquire about vaccinations.
Contact us today to learn more and schedule your personal tour.