Unlocking the Mind: Mental Health for Seniors
Did you know that according to the WHO (World Health Organization), about 15% of senior adults suffer from a mental disorder? Thankfully, these conditions can be combated through a healthy and active lifestyle. The Moorings at Lewes understands that your mental wellbeing is a vital part of your overall health, which is why we’ve created a community that encourages healthy living.
How to Improve Mental Health in Seniors
At The Moorings at Lewes, we offer enlightening, engaging amenities and activities for residents to enjoy and stay mentally well.
- Embrace Your Creative Side Through Art. Art can be used as therapeutic relief, which shows a connection between creativity and mental health positivity. Our art studio is the perfect place for you to relax your mind and express yourself. Join in a watercolor class or work independently to create your very own masterpiece.
- Fuel Your Mind and Body with Healthy Food. Proper nutrition is a vital part of mental wellness. As part of the LivWell program, our skilled dining team creates three delectable yet nutritious meals daily as well as coffee, snacks and take options all day. Food choices change all the time, so you’ll never tire of having the same meal over and over.
- Stay Active Through Exercise. We all know that exercise is good for our physical health, but did you know that it has a positive effect on your mental health as well? When you get your body moving, it helps to put you in a better mood, relieve stress and even improve awareness. At The Moorings, you have access to an array of physical wellness amenities and resources such as our senior fitness center, indoor swimming pool and exercise classes.
- Expand Your Mind with Continued Learning. Research demonstrates that continuing to learn later in life can help prevent dementia as well as reduce depression, anxiety and feelings of loneliness. The Moorings is a proponent of continued education, and that is why we offer multiple avenues for learning. Enjoy our well-stocked library to expand your mind at your own pace or take advantage of the Osher Lifelong Learning program, in partnership with the University of Delaware in Lewes.
- Stay Connected to Your Community. When you participate in social activities, you get a sense of well-being as well as decreased feelings of depression. Thanks to our close proximity to the Atlantic Ocean and the Delaware Bay, you’ll never tire of the scenery or the Lewes community offerings. Enjoy time in the state park with friends, stroll on the beach with your loved one and experience so much more the surrounding community has to offer.
Experience Engaging Mental Health Activities with The Moorings at Lewes
There’s always something to keep your mind engaged at The Moorings at Lewes. Resident Bunny Guerrin shared, “Community members are involved in many activities sponsored by The Moorings (such as Tai Chi) or arranged by resident committees (such as movies, the book club, chorus and outings for dinner). The Residents’ Association comprises many committees and gives voice to resident concerns and interests. Whether serving on a committee, joining an activity or making use of events and services in Lewes or nearby Rehoboth, I keep busy. Or, when I want quiet, I sit on my porch and enjoy my plants.”
Contact our team today to learn more about how The Moorings at Lewes encourages a healthy lifestyle or schedule your personal visit today.