6 Must-Know Moving Tips for Seniors
Moving day: you’ve been thinking about it for a while, and now it’s right around the corner. Have you been going over the details in your mind, like a never-ending checklist, trying to ensure you don’t miss anything? Are you prepared?
If not, don’t stress: we’re here to help. Not only do we want your life here at The Moorings at Lewes to be enjoyable and filled with fond memories, we also want moving day to be exciting and positive. It is, after all, the first day of a new chapter in your life – the beginning of maintenance-free living and peace of mind for your future.
Your Moving Day Checklist: 6 Moving Tips for Seniors
As a start, here are 6 tips we guarantee will take some of the stress out of your transition to The Moorings.
- Begin packing and organizing as early as you can. It’s true, life gets busy. You may think you have all the time in the world to pack before the big move, but time flies. It’s better to start packing early than to wait too long and scramble to get organized. Depending on how much help you have from loved ones or how much time you have to dedicate to packing, we recommend beginning as soon as you confirm your new living arrangements.
- Get a floor plan layout of your new place. The Moorings offers all of the apartment and cottage floor plans available online, along with the square footage of each. Once you know your floor plan, it’s a good idea to get a rough idea of where you’ll place certain furniture and belongings so you can decide what to bring and what to sell or give to family members and friends.
- Look into senior moving services near you. There are so many senior moving services out there who cater specifically to seniors and people who are either downsizing from a home or making the transition to a retirement community. At The Moorings, we have contact with local senior moving experts and can provide you with recommendations. Many of them offer packing and unpacking services, too, so you can sit back and relax while a team of professionals takes care of your move. Now that’s destressing your moving day.
- Tackle one room at a time. Obviously, this doesn’t apply if you’re hiring movers, but have you ever heard the phrase ‘it always seems impossible until it is done’? That’s how you might feel when you stand in your home, glancing from room to room, feeling overwhelmed by all of the packing ahead of you (if you aren’t hiring senior moving services). But when you look at it one room at a time, the project seems more manageable. That’s how you should approach packing: start in your least-used room and work your way to the most-used room. Baby steps!
- Sort and label your belongings based on their final destination. As you pack, one of the smartest ways to make unpacking in your new home easier is to label your boxes and sort the items based on where they will go at the next place. One idea is to mark items by room type (bathroom, master bedroom, kitchen), and mark items you won’t be taking with categories, too (charity, family, trash). If you can, avoid setting items aside as “maybe” items that you’ll have to go back to later; it’s just one extra step that makes the packing process longer.
- Ask for help if needed. It can be overwhelming to handle the moving process alone. Or Move-in Coordinator is available to help you navigate the details and resources needed for a successful move. You can also ask your family and friends for help with packing, moving items to the new home, or unpacking. Think of it this way: the extra company you’ll have while moving can lead to wonderful conversation, laughter, and memories you might cherish for years to come.
Making the Move to the Moorings at Lewes for an Enriched Lifestyle
We’ve heard many of the residents who’ve made the move into our independent living community at The Moorings say they wish they made the move sooner. From spacious, contemporary living options to an array of activities that keep you engaged in life, it’s our goal to allow you to life the relaxed, vibrant lifestyle you deserve. Don’t wait to start the next chapter of your life. Contact us today for more information.