Tips for a Hassle-Free Move to Senior Living
Deciding to move into a senior living community is a significant life change that can bring up a lot of emotions and anxieties, not just for you, but for your entire family. This decision can be especially difficult if you have lived in your current home for many years and filled it with cherished memories and meaningful moments. It’s natural to feel apprehensive about leaving behind a familiar and comfortable space.
The moving process can also be challenging and frustrating. The thought of packing up all of your belongings and navigating the logistics of moving to a new home can be overwhelming, and it’s not uncommon to feel anxious about the unknowns that come with this transition. Additionally, your family members may also feel a sense of loss as they come to terms with the fact that you will no longer be living in the family home.
To prepare yourselves for the move and make the transition as smooth as possible, it’s essential to have an open and honest conversation with your loved ones. Talk about your feelings and concerns, and listen to theirs as well. This way, you can work together to create a plan that addresses any worries or challenges that may arise during the move.
Our team at The Moorings at Lewes is here to support you and your family every step of the way. We understand that moving is a significant life event, and we are committed to making the process as easy and stress-free as possible. Our goal is to ensure that you and your family feel comfortable and confident in your decision to move to our community, and we are here to provide the support and guidance you desire to make the transition a success.
Read on for some tips on how to take the hassle out of moving to a senior living community.
Change Starts with a Conversation
Finding a safe, supportive environment that allows you to be independent, but not alone, is one of the best ways to live in your retirement years. It is alright to begin the change slowly and even early before your transition to retirement. Recognizing your future wants and desires will help you ease into this new lifestyle quickly and optimistically. But before everything is set in motion, it is best to introduce this idea to your family so they can prepare and get ready for the transition.
Everyone should go into the process with an open mind. This change requires honesty, patience, love, and empathy for each other. Listen to suggestions and possibilities. Let the family participate in helping you make the best decision.
It’s Time to Make the Move
Once a decision has been finalized, it’s time to start the transition. During this stage, you will want to start making written plans. Talk to your lawyer if you have one. This is also the stage when you and your family will start looking for communities that will best suit your lifestyle.
For a relaxing, laid-back lifestyle in a quaint historic city, The Moorings at Lewes is one of New Jersey’s finest senior living communities. Here is why it could be your best “new” home:
- The location. You’ll want an atmosphere that will rejuvenate you, inspire you to move around, and explore different possibilities and activities. The Moorings at Lewes is at the heart of the Delaware Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, allowing you to take in wonderful views of the blue sky, the wide sea, and a charming town by the marina. With many interesting shops, museums, and fine dining opportunities, this location will surely leave you with a lasting impression.
- The amenities. What truly makes or breaks a senior living community are the amenities it offers. Does it offer variety? Do they have quiet spaces where you can relax and meditate, and communal settings where you can enjoy the hearty presence of your community? If you are a pet lover, does the location encourage bringing your pets along, and will there be a place for them to enjoy walks with you? The Moorings at Lewes offers all that—and more—with their lush botanical grounds, art room, butterfly garden, our very own dog park, fitness center, library, and learning spaces, perfecting your social and intellectual enrichment.
- The wellness program. Some wellness programs focus on one or two dimensions, such as physical or mental health. You’ll want a health program that supports holistic growth, enhancing other dimensions of wellness and prioritizing them to give you an optimal sense of well-being. The Moorings at Lewes takes pride in its award-winning senior wellness program that focuses on whole-person wellness, so you can continue to enrich all experiences, including emotional, intellectual, social, spiritual, vocational, and environmental factors.
- The variety of floor plans. One-bedroom plans are perfect for downsizing, but if you are coming in with your partner or require a larger space, you may want something bigger. The Moorings at Lewes, for example, offer cottage floor plans that allow you to enjoy a larger space that can accommodate all your desires.
- The extensive health programs. Your senior living community should also include assisted living, memory care, nursing, and senior rehabilitation services in their programs. A wide spectrum of care lets you enjoy your stay within the community and get extra care if it one day becomes necessary. All of these care services are available at the Moorings at Lewes, so you can rest assured knowing you won’t have to move anywhere else.
These are some factors you’ll want to consider in choosing your senior living community. One idea is to make a checklist of what you think are the most important features in a retirement community and schedule a tour with your family.
Start Getting Your House in Order
At least a month before moving, get your house appraised and prepare for any upgrades that can be made to help sell it at the best price. Work with a real estate agent with a lot of proven experience selling homes in your area.
Pricing homes can feel tricky. It is important to price your home competitively without losing any return on investment. The pricing of your home will be generally affected by its location, condition, and the number of houses sold within your area.
Your home is filled with so many important memories, and understandably, no amount of money could ever compensate for that. However, keep in mind that your future buyers are looking for a place to make their memories, too. Let your real estate agent assist you in finding the best bid for your home.
At this point, you and your family will start staging your home. Begin by decluttering. Remove items that are extraneous to allow rooms to breathe and showcase their beauty. You may also want to refresh your exterior and boost the home’s curb appeal. Staging does wonders for your property’s value and will help give you the best return.
Get Packing: It’s Time to Move
With a moving company ready to take your things to your chosen senior living community, it’s time to leave. Ensure that you have everything you need to make your new home comfortable. Pack essentials. Have a family or a friend accompany you during the trip. Walk through your old home and take the time to bid farewell.
Here are some more tips on how to make moving day hassle-free:
- Pack ahead of time. Pack as much as you can ahead of time, leaving only the essentials for the day of the move. This will help you avoid the stress of last-minute packing and make the moving day smoother.
- Label boxes clearly. Label all boxes clearly with their contents and the room they belong to. This will make it easier for you and your movers to know where each box should go in your new home.
- Arrange parking. Make sure to arrange parking for the moving truck ahead of time. If you live in an apartment building, notify the building management and reserve an elevator if necessary.
- Hire professional movers. Consider hiring professional movers to make the moving day smoother and easier. They can help with loading and unloading and make sure your belongings are transported safely.
- Prepare for your pets. If you have pets, make sure to arrange for their care on moving day. Consider boarding them or having a friend or family member take care of them for the day.
- Stay organized. Keep important documents and valuables, such as passports and jewelry, with you on moving day. This will ensure they are safe and easily accessible.
- Take breaks and stay hydrated. Moving can be physically exhausting, so make sure to take breaks and stay hydrated throughout the day. This will help you stay energized and focused.
Remember that this is a growing experience. You are going to make new memories and have new adventures in your new home: a place where you will be surrounded by an amazing community of like-minded individuals, as well as friendly team members to ensure everything you want is attended to. Look forward to a new beginning. Today is where you start fresh. There are many more exciting things to come.
Here at The Moorings at Lewes, the very heart of our community is the spirit of newness. We celebrate this fresh milestone of your life where you can live maintenance-free, allowing you to do things on your terms, at your own pace. Draped by lush greenery and surrounded by many activities that fit your liking, live healthily and meaningfully in our vibrant neighborhood. Talk to us today and discover how we can be your next home!