- About Us
- Living Options
- Events & News
- Making the Move
Healthy Aging | 04/10/20
One of the best ways to maintain good overall health and wellness is to maintain proper personal hygiene. Personal hygiene helps you to stay clean, giving you a boost in confidence and positively impacting personal relationships, as well as reduce the risk for disease and negative medical conditions that stem from bad hygiene. Keep reading for ten ways you’re able to practice proper personal hygiene.
1. Wash Your Hands Frequently: Washing your hands is one of the most effective ways to reduce the spread of disease. You should especially wash your hands before and after you eat, after going to the bathroom and when you come into contact with someone who is sick. In order to achieve effective results, make sure you wash your hands properly.
2. Bathe: Cleaning your body washes away dead skin cells and dirt and helps fight the spread of disease. For older adults, it’s recommended to shower or take a bath at least twice a week to achieve the positive effects.
3. Brush Your Teeth Twice a Day: Make sure you are brushing your teeth twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, to maintain good oral hygiene along with regular dental checkups.
4. Floss Your Teeth Daily: In addition to brushing your teeth, floss your teeth once a day for optimal oral hygiene.
5. Take Care of Your Nails: Cleaning and trimming your nails reduces your risk of hangnails and infected nail beds.
6. Wear Clean Clothes: After you wear clothes, wash them with a detergent and dry them immediately upon rinsing. Dirty clothes can harbor bacteria that could lead to body odor or even skin irritations.
7. Cover Your Mouth When Your Cough or Sneeze: This is extremely important to avoid spreading germs to people around you.
8. Get Restful Sleep: Restful sleep is essential to wellbeing, no matter your age. It is recommended for all adults to sleep between seven to nine hours a night.
9. Create a Routine: Whatever your process may be to maintain good personal hygiene, make either a mental checklist or write it down. This way, you’ll remember and keep up with the steps you need to take to stay clean and healthy.
10. Visit the Doctor: Maintaining regular healthcare appointments can help you catch infections and illnesses early, making it easier to treat them. Visit your healthcare provider when you have a concern and schedule routine check-ups.
The Moorings at Lewes offers a continuum of care that covers all aspects of wellbeing. LivWell is our holistic wellness program touching on all seven dimensions of wellness. Through community activities and amenities, you’re able to learn healthy lifestyle tips and ways to improve your wellness that helps you to achieve your own personal goals.
Learn more about how we offer healthy lifestyle opportunities within our community by contacting our team today. We’re happy to answer any questions you have!