Ideas of Outdoor Activities for Seniors
Senior Living | 08/28/20
As the end of summer approaches, you want to make sure you make the most out of the warm, sunny days. Spending time outdoors and getting fresh air is a great way to get your body moving and socializing with friends. Here are a few ideas of outdoor activities for seniors for you to check off your list before the crisp autumn days arrive.
7 Fun Things to Do in the Summer Around Lewes, DE
- Visit the Beach. Nothing says summer like relaxing in the sand while listening to the sound of waves. Lewes is within close proximity to several dune-backed beaches, including Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Bethany Beach and Fenwick Island.
- Start a Garden. Gardening is the perfect hobby for those looking for a low-impact activity that offers the opportunity to spend time outside. Gardening benefits you socially, mentally and physically. This hobby is a great way to get out in the sun and contribute to the beauty around you.
- Explore a State Park. Hike, bike or spend a day at the shore basking in the sun’s rays. Located just four miles from The Moorings, residents even receive the Senior Lifetime Pass. This allows them to visit all 14 Delaware State Park properties that charge a vehicle entrance fee.
- Take a Walk. Walking is a great way to stay active. Whether it be a longer hike or a walk around the neighborhood, this activity helps to maintain cardio. It’s also a great way to enjoy the scenery around you and get some fresh air.
- Pack a Picnic. Picnics are a classic way for people to get outside and enjoy the sunny day. It doesn’t have to be an elaborately-packed lunch – simply make a few sandwiches, remember water, grab some fruit and a picnic blanket to sit on, and you’re good to go. Picnics are an opportunity to socialize and share a meal with friends and family.
- Go Golfing. Golfing is a timeless game that offers many health benefits. This exercise helps build muscle strength, increase endurance and improve cardiovascular functions.
- Eat at a Restaurant Patio. Southern Delaware may be best known for its miles of beaches, but it’s also considered the Culinary Coast, featuring a wide array of fine dining establishments, breweries and wineries.
Discover a Variety of Outdoor Activities for Seniors at The Moorings at Lewes
At The Moorings at Lewes, our activities and amenities are tailored to residents’ interests and encourage a healthy lifestyle – including our campus. The stunning grounds at our continuing care retirement community offer amenities like walking paths, gardens, butterfly gardens, a dog park and much more. Many of our floor plans even include patios for your own private outdoor sanctuary. Residents are able to spend time enjoying the summer months and soaking up the sun.
Check out our online gallery to see pictures of the beautiful grounds. To see our stunning campus for yourself, contact our team today to schedule a personal tour.