The Best Places to Take Your Dog in Lewes, DE
Miles of beaches, a charming downtown shopping district, and a vibrant culinary scene are just some of the reasons to love living in Lewes, Delaware. For dog lovers, there’s even better news: Many of the local hot spots are also pet-friendly, so you can bring your furry friend along on your adventures.
In fact, some of the best places to take your dog in Lewes, Delaware, are also places you’ll love visiting yourself. Whether you’re new to the area or just looking for fresh ideas for fun with your four-legged friend, be sure to check out these pet-friendly places to take your dog in Lewes.
Living in a coastal town like Lewes, you’re likely to feel the pull of the ocean, and a visit to the shore is a great way for you and your canine companion to enjoy that fresh ocean air. In fact, the beach is one of the best places to take your dog in Lewes, Delaware. Try these popular destinations:
- Cape Henlopen State Park is a pet-friendly park with plenty of sand for your pup to explore and even space to test the waves. During the peak summer season, May 1 to Sept. 30, you’ll find some restrictions from certain areas, but unlike many of the state’s parks, there are no set “doggy hours.”
- Lewes Beach, located nearby, allows dogs before 8 a.m. and after 6 p.m. during peak season, but throughout the day during the fall, winter, and early spring months.
- Other popular pet-friendly beaches in Delaware include Dewey Beach, Delaware Seashore State Park at Rehoboth Beach, and Bethany Beach.
Boutique shops are plentiful in Lewes and along the coast. Not only will you find unique and locally crafted treats and trinkets for spoiling your pooch, but sales in these pet stores are also tax free—a great reason to sneak an extra biscuit or two you’re your shopping bag! Our top pick:
- P.U.P.S. of Lewes in downtown Lewes is the best place to take your dog in Lewes, Delaware, for some retail therapy. In this welcoming boutique you’ll find all kinds of treats, toys, and accessories for dogs, cats, and their human pals.
Lewe’s may not be a big city, but this quaint community boasts one of the biggest collections of dog-friendly restaurants in Delaware. With dozens of restaurants that serve four-legged guests along with their humans from their outdoor seating areas, you’ll be able to satisfy almost any craving with your canine companion in tow. When dining with a furry friend, be sure to check out our favorite spot:
- Crooked Hammock Brewery is a place many dog lovers agree is one of the best places to take your dog in Lewes, Delaware. Here you’ll find locally inspired brews made in-house, a diverse menu, and live music on the weekends. Located just a short drive from the beach, it’s a perfect way to wind down after an afternoon of sun, surf, and play.
Looking for a Pet-Friendly Place to Live?
Now that you know some of the best places to take your dog in Lewes, Delaware, for a day of play, you may be wondering where you can live. The Moorings at Lewes is a pet-friendly senior living community that welcomes pets as part of our family. We invite pet owners to make themselves right at home in our senior apartments and cottages, and our miles of walking trails throughout the community are a great way to get acquainted with the neighborhood while giving your pooch some exercise.